Saturday, January 9, 2010

Winter Days...

Winter has hit with a vengenance here in the midwest. The kids returned to classes from their winter break, and after only two days back in the classroom, two snow days were declared. A respiratory virus that has been circulating around town reared up its ugly head in our home as well. So, as you can imagine, a lot of our time this past week was spent inside...
Throughout it all, I have made it my quest to continue to be grateful...Even while cabin fever was hitting my three children, the dogs were coming inside the house with muddy snow all over their little paws, sneezes and coughes filled the air, and cars were stuck in our driveway...
I tried to keep the spirit of peace and thankfulness. Was I continually successful? No, I can't say that...
But through it all I did remember that
these winter days are a special time.
Full of beauty.... Slow days of reflecting on ways we can improve our lives...Trying things we have always wanted to accomplish.. And, considering whether we are living our lives according to God's plan or the plan of men...And, are we continually showing gratitude for the lives that have been given to us... "Blow, blow thou winter wind, thou art not so unkind as man's ingratitude"....William Shakespeare

(First photo courtesy of Country Living magazine)

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Lovely!! I've been trying to grasp at the gratitude as well (struggling with the 2 days back at school then right back to being at home...).

I must admit - the peaceful glittering blanket that lies where no tires & footprints have gone puts me in the right frame of mind every time I take a minute to enjoy it. (My son & daughter even giggled at the sun shining off the snow today - what blissful moments!)

Hope everyone remains in (or finds) health around you! Stay warm!

Linda said...

Hi Stephanie! One of my favorite quotes is "art is a good way of running away without leaving home". when i am feeling overwhelmed, working in my little craft space always helps! Or for a moment of fun, head over to the Swap for All Seasons blog and sign up for the Giveaway! Linda

Melissa/Piney Rose said...

Hi Stephanie! Been busy getting to work on your swap goodies - don't have the box yet, but getting some ideas. Lovely post. I LOVE that pic of the pinecones under the glass cloche.

maryboys said...

ah - i do love that shakespeare quote...thank you for sharing it:) i'm one of the lesser majority - i love winter and snow and being indoors; but there is no doubt that it takes a toll when children are cooped up for days and weeks. my husband and 2 sons went ice fishing this week-end and i have enjoyed the winter solitude! have a good week...

mary

kana said...

Good message in your post! We all need to me more grateful. I really want to quit complaining, and be more thankful and more creative. The creative part makes me happy! Thanks for your comment on my Valentine tags. I actually had a couple of yours from last year for some inspiration!

Sheila Rumney said...

Thanks for the gentle reminder of gratitude. Keep warm...

Suz said...

That is a lovely message! As I sit here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota, I am grateful for the reminder.