Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Real World Called…

026

I had geared up back in August to begin blogging again earnestly but a few days after I wrote my first post my 15 year old daughter, who is a competitive gymnast, called from the gym and said she had fallen while doing a skill on the balance beam…

She’s been doing gymnastics for over 10 years and as there is with any sport there have been injuries.  So the fact that she was calling me and not her coach did not alarm me about the fall.

But the situation changed quickly.

Ambulance to the hospital…

neck brace…

Minimal hand strength…

Loss of balance…

Diagnosis of a severe concussion and possible spinal cord injury…

It has been over 8 weeks since that night and after long days in dark rooms and hours of physical therapy, I am relieved, grateful, and blessed that my daughter is back at school, regained most of her hand strength, no longer has constant headaches and neck pain, and was even cleared last week to begin her gymnastics comeback.

028

The past two months have given me a new perspective on life…

the fragility…

the beauty of each new day…

purposefully living…

And, to all of you that are my Facebook friends who read my posts and took the time to comment and even to just “like” my status…

Thank you…

I’m conflicted about her being back at the gym, but have been assured by her neurosurgeon who consulted with colleagues including ones from Indianapolis’ phenomenal Riley Children’s Hospital that she is at no increased risk of injury than any other athlete. And, she wants to return to the sport.  She’s scared but determined to regain all the skills that have become rusty or more difficult with her time away.

So, it boils down to having faith or allowing my fear and worry to win…

But, I guess that is true with most of life…

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Amen. I'm so happy she's doing well!

Hope said...

glad to see you are back! So glad Meg is safe & healed!